[Interest] Qt5: Can tooltip popups be prevented from raising the window?

Phil Weinstein philw at indra.com
Mon Nov 21 19:09:07 CET 2016

This is apparently a change from Qt4 to Qt5.  (We're using Qt 5.5.1).
When hovering over a GUI control having a Tooltip, at the moment the
Tooltip is shown, the window containing that control is RAISED.  This is
very undesirable, potentially obscuring the window the user is trying to
work with, just as a result of moving the mouse out of the way.

I don't know this to be relevant, but I'd like to mention that we DO
like to use the strangely-named Qt::WA_AlwaysShowToolTips widget
attribute.  Tooltips on visible widgets in a partially obscured window
should work (regardless of the window not being the active window).

Can this "new" (Qt5) window popup behavior be prevented?

This question was asked, but not addressed, on this stackoverflow.com
post (relative to Qt 5.4.2):

Qt tooltip brings window to front when it is being shown
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30801093/qt-tooltip-brings-window-to-front-when-it-is-being-shown

Thank you in advance.