[Interest] What don't you like about Qt?

andy fillebrown andy.fillebrown at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 02:52:03 CEST 2016

I was hired on to my new job because of my Qt4 experience, and my
first QML related task was to convert a list view to a editable tree
view with drag and drop. It was not a good experience. The TreeView
control provided in Qt was full of bugs and I ended up pulling its
private C++ model adaptor into our project for bug fixes and writing a
bunch of javascript workarounds because there was no other way to get
it working satisfactorily. According to my co-workers, this is par for
the course for QML. Everything takes twice as long because things
don't work correctly out of the box. After having such a good
experience with QtGui widgets in Qt4 I was really sad to see how bad
QML is in comparison.

I like the idea of QML and I think the reasoning behind the shift away
from QtGui widgets is sound. There's just too many bugs, and design
view doesn't work for any .qml files in our project because the way
we're registering our custom controls is not supported in QtCreator
apparently.

Take a look at how Unity3D does their 2D UI elements sometime. It's
much easier to use than QML. It's not an apples to apples comparison
but it's something I feel like Qt should be shooting for when it comes
to ease of use. I learned both systems at the same time and Unity's
system took far less time and is much more stable.

Is the Qt team losing touch with the common developer? ...or is a lack
of resources maybe the root problem?  Both?  More?

I don't know. I'm just an average dev struggling with the new Qt. I do
know I wouldn't use Qt/QML for future projects in its current state
without giving Xamarin or some kind of HTML5 to app conversion a try,
first.