[Interest] Agile programming (Was: What don't you like about Qt?)

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 12:15:00 CEST 2016

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Viktor Engelmann <viktor.engelmann at qt.io>
wrote:

> It's okay for quickly evolving UX, but we are talking about
> long-term concepts that need to provide stability and IMHO
> that requirement is incompatible to agile programming.
>
> If for example you developed a network protocol in an agile way,
> in the end all machines would speak different dialects and you'd
> never get them to communicate reliably.

Depends on what you call Agile I guess.
For instance I remember Ableton Live (very famous music software)'s first
8.x versions were buggy as hell.
What they did was :
* do a full code audit
* implement Agile processes (
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/03/07/behind-the-scenes-with-developers-at-ableton/
around 5:00 and the various videos here :
https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=217683 )
* for months, almost a year if I remember correctly, they entirely blocked
(
http://cdm.link/2009/12/ableton-suspends-development-to-focus-on-bug-fixes-for-live-8/
) the implementation of new features to focus only on bug fixing. They took
a somewhat long time, which let time for competition to build up a bit,
however I think that most agree that the resulting product was well worth
the wait since it actually *worked*.

So I'd say that agility is orthogonal to stability, it's just a way to
manage the teams.

Best,
Jean-Michaël
<http://www.jcelerier.name>