[Interest] [Quick Controls 2] Best way to add binding arrow tip to Popup?

Oleg Evseev ev.mipt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 13:48:54 CEST 2016

Great thanks, Shawn.

Canvas is what I searching for!

Even in canvas example there is a Talk bubble example that is look similar
to tipped Popup!
[image: Встроенное изображение 1]

Canvas is Qt Quick Item, so it is quite easy to add it on the scene and add
a shadows (or other effects) to it
[image: Встроенное изображение 2]
and use it as background for Qt Quick Controls.

Only thing that I miss is the inner border in Canvas (to be identical to
Rectangle drawing principle). But for simple tipped popup (rectangle with
rounded corners and tip) it was quite easy to recalculate coordinates
points.
Plus, apparently there is the other solution with globalCompositeOperation
http://stackoverflow.com/a/34234589/5765076 for complex shapes (didn't test
it).

I made tipped rectangle with Canvas and it looks great!

*I really surprised, why using Canvas item was not suggested in first
place?!*

And you, Shawn, write this:

... we've always needed support for arbitrary shapes in QtQuick.  We’ll
> have them eventually…

like Canvas is *not *the really good solution - just a workaround. That is,
it not claims to be "support for arbitrary shapes in QtQuick".

Why? How your ideal support for arbitrary shapes in QtQuick will look like
in general words, then?

What about Canvas vs QSGGeometry Node approach? Only performance aspects?

--
Regards, Oleg.