[Interest] Qt 5.6LTS vs 5.7+

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 09:51:19 CEST 2016

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Em sábado, 3 de setembro de 2016, às 19:00:03 CEST, René J.V. Bertin escreveu:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A bit of an existential question: to what extent should distributions and
>> distribution systems (which can target multiple OS/versions) be prepared to
>> provide 5.6 and 5.7+ alongside (as drop-in alternatives or otherwise)?
>
> One or the other, not both.

That's actually what I meant: "provide 5.6 and 5.7 alongside", as in "provide
for installation", not "allow to install alongside". So forget about the "or
otherwise" :)

It's been suggested that the LTS version might be provided as a "calm" option
while 5.7+ see significant Wayland development. In itself that sounds like a
plausible idea, but maybe not so much for Wayland support as that is almost
bound to null the whole justification for the LTS release on KF5-based
distributions.