[Interest] What don't you like about Qt?

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 18 15:56:23 CEST 2016

On 9/18/2016 2:43 AM, Jean-Michaël Celerier wrote:
> Some things that bother me :
>
> * Features being QML-only instead of being usable from C++. I like coding in
> C++ (but I agree it's hard).

This is certainly arguable.  For some, I guess coding in C++ is hard.  For
others, it's as natural as breathing.

In fact, it leads to my particular issue: QML.  I waited a long time for Qt to
reach a point where it was usable for mobile development, and I personally was
disappointed with the declarative approach taken with QML.  Aside from being
somewhat out of character for the framework, it seems to have been a divisive
approach, creating a separation not only between interface and code, but
between languages!  Jean-Michaël's point abovehighlights that.

I want to code mobile in a language I use on a daily basis for things other
than just mobile.  I realize it is a great fit for some people, but
unfortunately for me, QML isn't.  I've therefore had to turn my attention to
Xamarin (especially now that it is integrated into Visual Studio).  I've never
been much of a fan of C#, but it is certainly closer to C++ than QML.

(No QML flame wars, please.  I'm just expressing my personal situation, not
saying that QML isn't useful for some people.)