[Interest] What you don't like about Qt

Artem Sidyakin artem.sidyakin at qt.io
Fri Sep 23 18:11:26 CEST 2016

> Digia

From the 1st of May it’s The Qt Company now :)

> because of this attempt to squeeze licensing and royalties out of the general public
> I highly suspect the LGPL3 move was done to help squeeze

So, in your opinion it is totally fair to create “closed” products (TiVoization) using Open Source tools and libraries?
That's an interesting approach. Pity, that developer community would argue with that.

> NOBODY will pay royalties, period

Participating in calls and meetings with customers, I see a different picture.

> arthritic dog running in deep snow called QML

> script kiddies

I find the concept of dividing the application to front-end (QML) and back-end (C++) very convenient and helpful. That was a truly brilliant idea to implement such concept in Qt.
I used same approach being .NET/ASP.MVC developer back in my days. But I guess, I’m just a script-kiddy, so it explains.

> Just take a look at how badly QML runs on the Raspberry Pi with a quad core and Gig of RAM.
> http://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/information-technology/raspberry-qt-part-12-qml-blows-big-stinky-chunks/

Yeah, this link was here before. Author was asked back then, how about benchmarking Qt Quick Controls 2? But I don’t remember his answer to that.
I have a stock RPi 3 on my desk and I use it in my development with QML. Cannot really complain about anything.

---
Artem Sidyakin