[Interest] Current QDataStream format documentation?

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Sat Sep 24 23:38:30 CEST 2016

Hi,

Il 24/09/2016 02:50, Ch'Gans ha scritto:
> Adding my 2 cents, I haven't use QDataStream stream much, yet i'm very
> well aware of this restriction. I think the documentation is very
> explicit about this. And that might be the reason i haven't use it
> much.

I'm actually arguing that there's no such restriction. The format used
on the wire is documented (poorly, see my other email), which means we
can never change it.

> QDataStream is black-box system for Qt to Qt exchange.

The mere fact that such documentation exists contradicts this fact.
Plus, QDataStream's own documentation does not say anything like that
(at least, I can't find it. I'll be happily to be disproven)

> If the other side of the pipe is arduino, maybe try to use JSON (very
> easy to use on Qt side), and i'm sure arduino as some library for
> this.

... and add a gigantic overhead for JSON's (de)serialization. Seems like
a terrible idea. You still want some sort of binary format.

Cheers,
KDAB (UK) Ltd., a KDAB Group company | Tel: UK +44-1625-809908
KDAB - Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts