[Interest] General Questions about Qt3D

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Mon Sep 26 10:11:20 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 26/09/2016 08:44, Klos, Andreas wrote:
> Dear great Qt-community,
>

> Currently I am checking out the possibilities which are provided by
> Qt3D. Thereby two question were arised.
>

> (1) Is it possible to visualize scalar measurement data, which are
> stored in an common C-array? Is it possible to create a customized mesh
> with the scalar data?

Yes, you can populate a Qt3DRender::QBuffer (or Buffer in QML) with your
array. How you map this to attributes (color, vertical position, etc) in
your shaders is entirely up to you and your specific use case.

> (2) Is it possible to use Qt3D and VTK together? i know that it is
> possible to render vtk data into an OpenGL rendering context. I read
> that Qt3D is based on OpenGL and uses an OpenGL Rendering context. So
> after my opinion it should work. Or am i wrong?

In theory yes. We borrow the OpenGL context from Qt Quick in the Scene3D
custom item so it should be possible to do something similar for VTK but
I have not tried it.

> I would be grateful, if somebody can give me an helpfully answer
> regarding to my questions.

Please feel free to post any follow up questions.

Cheers,

Sean

--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK