[Interest] What don't you like about Qt?

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Wed Sep 28 17:00:30 CEST 2016

Konrad:
> Also: Javascript is not an OO language: you are supposed to have classes, not
> prototypes, for OO.

ES6 has proper classes. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Classes

Rob:
> I quite like QML as a declarative markup language, but am less enthused about JavaScript. It seems like kind of a toy programming language.

Love it or hate it, JavaScript is here to stay. I myself prefer Python and share your concerns. But JavScripts's concepts are simple enough, and it's easy extended. Things like SweetJS and transpilers are providing a way to address all the issues with JS. JS is becoming a runtime on top of the runtime. ASM.js runs at half native speed. So the process is you come up with you own language, like TypeScript, which gets translated to JS. On an ES5 platform? Use a transpiler to write ES6/7 code, but execute ES5.

I was disappointed when QML was not pythonic, but javascripty. But I think FWIW, it's fine and not a much would be changed.

One of the ways the lack of proper compiler-time checks is just to use microservices, so that impacts and contracts are limited.
The other way is a test kit. You should always have a test kit.