[Interest] Status of Qt and WebAssembly, Emscripten, NaCl...

Morten Sorvig Morten.Sorvig at qt.io
Fri Sep 30 13:04:38 CEST 2016

> On 29 Sep 2016, at 14:35, Jean-Michaël Celerier <jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Is there an official "stance" on the Qt Project regarding the "C++ ported Web" platforms ?
>
> With 4.8 there was emscripten-qt, then Morten Sørvig did a lot of work on the wip/nacl branch but it seems a bit stale : https://github.com/qt/qtbase/tree/wip/nacl
>
> This post also showcases the use of QML in the browser : http://dragly.org/2016/04/27/experimental-qt-and-qml-in-the-browser/
>
> Can we expect something official in the next year ? Are there big "road blocks for this" ? Or is there just not much interest in the Qt community ?

Hi,

“stale” or “on hold” is a good description of the qtbase/wip/nacl branch state. The dragly.org work was upstreamed to that branch. (See f4f5219f0017d36e1b14fc4b88e9006b59c75b3f)

There is certainly interest from my side, road blocks include good old-fashioned lack of time and some concerns over how complete/useful the port can be when running in a browser sandbox (font file and clipboard access is restricted for example).

“Product demo on the web” may be a good use case.

- Morten