[Interest] Another query on GTK platform theme/style

Dan Allen dan at jerber.co.uk
Sun Apr 16 12:23:42 CEST 2017

Hi,

I asked a question about the missing GTK theme a few months ago. I was
informed that it was no longer provided within Qt and was available
using the qtstyleplugins package.  However, qtstyleplugins only provides
a style called "gtk2" and this is not compatible (I believe) with the
native default GTK3 platform theme.  If I try to set the theme to
"gtk2", the application crashes.

I found this Qt blog
<https://blog.qt.io/blog/2012/10/30/cleaning-up-styles-in-qt5-and-adding-fusion/>
and it suggests that the styles being removed were "Motif", "CDE",
"Cleanlooks" and "Plastique" and this was generally because they didn't
fit into modern native styles used today.  The blog also suggests "Qt
has traditionally strived to provide a native look and feel on all its
target platforms" and "This will not change in Qt5".

I'm currently using Qt5.8.0/Ubuntu Gnome and the command
QStyleFactory::keys() returns a QStringList containing "Windows" and
"Fusion" with Fusion being the default.  Pre-Qt5.7, this used to return
"GTK+", "Windows" and "Fusion" with "GTK+" being the default.  This does
not appear to be in line with the blog.

So I guess my question is, will a GTK style that is compatible with the
default GTK3 platform theme be re-introduced into a future version of Qt
such that applications run in Ubuntu Gnome with a native look and feel?
Or worse case, will one be added to the qtstyleplugins package?

Thanks,

Dan.