[Interest] Qt3D: Problem with QSkybox basename property

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Tue Apr 18 12:58:48 CEST 2017

Hi,

On 18/04/2017 10:10, Ch'Gans wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have just tried the sky box entity with Qt-5.9-beta, and found a
> small problem:
> If you don't specify a basename or if the basename is malformed, the
> GUI will freeze.
> As the documentation doesn't specify that the basename should be in a
> QUrl compatible format, I stupidly set the basename to
> '/somewhere/basename', it's only after looking at the source that i
> realised that. Using 'file:///somewhere/basename' fixed the problem.
> Shouldn't the documentation be updated to reflect that? Maybe simply
> replacing 'basename' with 'baseUrl' would give the right clue to the
> user, along with plainly saying that basename + suffix + extension
> should form a string that can be used with QUrl.

I'm actually tempted to avoid  the entire issue and just require that
the user provide a QAbstractTexture object that contains a cubemap
texture target. It's trivial  to do this with a dds file already but we
can add a convenience helper if  you want to be able to build a cubemap
texture object from a set of 2D images. That will make the API minimal
and complete by delegating the complexity to other classes such as
QTextureLoader.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sean