[Interest] Another query on GTK platform theme/style

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 18:10:44 CEST 2017

Den 18 apr. 2017 8:59 fm skrev "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com

thiago.macieira at intel.com

> > > Use the one from Fedora developers.
> >
> > Do you mean as a temporary solution, or are there are no plans for an
> > official Gtk3 style plugin?
>
> I did not mean temporary. It's permanent as long as the developers of this
> platform theme plugin do not decide to submit their code to Qt. It's their
> project, they can do whatever they want with it. Now, I don't know if
anyone
> has ever asked them. I, for one, didn't know it existed until a few hours
ago.

> I don't think Qt developers should redevelop it from scratch. That
wouldn't be
> a good use of our time, plus the Fedora developers are actually
knowledgeable
> about Gtk, unlike us.

Right, that makes sense. Maybe if the Fedora one is good enough they could
submit and maintain it in Qt. Though the more I think about it, it makes
sense that the respective platforms maintain their own style plugins
outside Qt.

> > I've always thought it a great strength that Qt can look native on both
the
> > big Linux desktops out of the box, so would be a bit sad if there are no
> > plans for a Gtk3 successor to the Gtk2 style.
>
> If the plugin is installed system-wide, any Qt should be able to load it,
even
> the official binary packages (provided the plugin can be somehow found).

Right, unless the style plugin is naughty and using private headers :p
(like I think eg Breeze is doing).

Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

Elvis