[Interest] speeding up "make clean" in qt src on OS X?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Apr 20 17:28:33 CEST 2017

Em quinta-feira, 20 de abril de 2017, às 01:34:10 PDT, Patrick Stinson
escreveu:
> Running “make clean” in the root qt src dir calls xcodebuild a whole bunch
> of times and takes a really, really long time. Is there any faster way to
> do this? I am already excluding a lot of unnecessary builds in my configure
> line:
>
> ./configure -static -debug-and-release -nomake examples -xplatform macx-ios-
> clang -sdk iphoneos -nomake tests

Konstantin's answer is the best way, but here's what's happening for you. You
used -nomake examples -nomake tests, so the Makefiles for the examples were not
created. But when you ran make clean, it tried to clean the examples and tests
too:

> cd qopenglwindow/ && ( test -e Makefile ||
> /Users/patrick/dev/vendor/pyqt-sysroot-ios-64/src/qt5/qtbase/bin/qmake -o
> Makefile
> /Users/patrick/dev/vendor/pyqt-sysroot-ios-64/src/qt5/qtbase/tests/auto/gui
> /kernel/qopenglwindow/qopenglwindow.pro )

In order to clean there, it needs to create the Makefile there first. Yes, it's
wasteful because obviously there's nothing to be cleaned if there's no Makefile
in the first place.

It's a qmake shortcoming. So there's nothing you can do to speed up make clean
in the top dir.

Do what Konstantin said.

One more thing: your configure line had a LOT of -skip. If you didn't want
those modules, why did you download them? If all you wanted was qtbase,
download qtbase only.