[Interest] Crash with Qt application that use OpenGL

Viktor Engelmann viktor.engelmann at qt.io
Fri Apr 21 15:09:52 CEST 2017

I'm not an OpenGL expert, so this might be completely unrelated, but
this reminded me of

http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2016-October/025009.html

On 21.04.2017 14:51, Xavier Bigand wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> All other applications that crash at startup on the hardware on which
> we also have the issue are made with Qt, games and all other
> applications are running fine.
> We finally found that it is specific to the latest Nvidia driver
> 381.65 and at least geforce 1070 and 1060, we have tested on an other
> computer with a 1080 and the same driver version that doesn't have the
> issue.
>
> OpenGL Nvidia drivers often crash with bad inputs, and you are right
> it is boring because in this case we can't use Nsight or other things
> to debug.
>
> There is a lot of wrong OpenGL commands that can generate a good
> result depending on drivers and hardware. This is the case with FBO on
> that we can read and write at the same time with Nvidia and AMD GPUs,
> but not with Intel ones. I think that is because Nividia or AMD have
> some code that fix some common wrong commands in their driver to make
> OpenGL easier to use.
>
> I will fill a bug to Nvidia.
>
> Thank you all.

> <till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com <mailto:till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com>>:
>

>     > Am 20.04.2017 um 21:04 schrieb Xavier Bigand
>     <flamaros.xavier at gmail.com <mailto:flamaros.xavier at gmail.com>>:
>     >
>     > It is not necessary a bug from Nvidia, it can comes from bad
>     parameters to functions like glDrawElements. Nividia drivers don't
>     check a lot the parameters and given wrong values can cause buffer
>     overflows,...
>
>     Still a bug in nVidia code then. Again, an OpenGL driver is *not*
>     supposed to crash, even with bad input. That's what the OpenGL
>     standard mandates...
>
>     And buffer overflows, God beware :) Report this to nVidia asap
>     (you might get a reward for discovering a security hole ;)).
>
>     Cheers,
>       Oliver
>

> --
> Xavier

Viktor Engelmann
Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH
Rudower Chaussee 13
D-12489 Berlin

Viktor.Engelmann at qt.io
+49 151 26784521

http://qt.io
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 144331 B