[Interest] Does anyone have Qt3D running on any embedded board?

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 00:54:50 CEST 2017

On 1 August 2017 at 04:36, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 31 July 2017 02:47:02 PDT Christian Gagneraud wrote:
>> Can you, kdab, provide ready made demo for "popular" embedded devices?
>>
>> Raspberry pi and beagle bone are your "base", your bread and butter. Stuff
>> that "hackers" can afford and play with. Never forget your base...
>
> Maybe those popular devices are too low-end for a proper 3D usage.  A demo
> that is simplified so it will run on that device, but then you can't make an
> application that makes use of Qt3D facilities won't help you.
>
> So maybe we do need to investigate if that class of devices will work at all
> and be upfront with a message. "Sorry, get a better device if you want Qt3D"
> is better than failing.

I agree with that, but both the Rasberry PI 3 and the BeagleBone Black
are supported by boot2qt, RPI3 in "group 2" and BBB in "group 3".
If these devices are not "good enough", then what is "good enough"?

Texas Instrument Sitara (BBB) and Freescale imx6 are the latest
"stable" HW targeted at the embedded/industrial world. I don't know
much about the Broadcom SoC (RPI3)...

Anyway, my point was that it should be straight forward to demo Qt3D
on these boards. All of them have decent CPU and GPU.
These are not gadgets, they are cheap boards, that many people use at
home *and* at work to demo technologies like Qt.

A recent project I worked on (2 years ago) involved demoing 1 BBB
talking with 50 RPI3 running embedded linux (and Qt but no 3D was
required).
This is not just rapid prototyping, it is affordable and quick prototyping too.
I would not have been able to make this demo if I had to get the
company buy 50 EVBs that cost a few K$ a pop!

Chris