[Interest] [Android-development] Text Selection Handles Qt 5.8 QQC2 - some workarounds

Bernhard B schluchti at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 10:50:38 CEST 2017

I really hope there will be some changes regarding the TextSelection handle
implementation on Android for the upcoming Qt 5.9.x releases, as there are
a few issues with them.

In my eyes having a TextArea with working selection handles is such a basic
feature that should work flawlessly with every framework. Unfortunately Qt
is lacking here a bit :/

I am trying really hard to convince people to give Qt for mobile app
development a try. Usually they fall in love with QML very quickly, but
it's really hard to make them stick with Qt when such essential things
aren't working properly. Typically adding a TextField/TextArea and a few
buttons is the first thing that people are trying out.

I really hope that there will be changes in the upcoming Qt 5.9 patch
release. I am really glad that the selection handle stuff was integrated
with Qt 5.8 - that was really awesome and added a big missing piece. But
please don't make the mistake and leave it like this.

Bernhard