[Interest] Qt3D Rendering offscreen

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Sat Aug 12 14:40:15 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Friday 11 August 2017 14:34:34 Andy wrote:
> Goal: With Qt3D (C++), render my scene offscreen, use render capture on it,
> and save image to disk.
>
> With my Qt3DWindow-based solution the scene looks fine and I can do the
> render capture part (on macOS anyways - Windows doesn't work for me -
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-61223 ).
>
> Now I need to be able to do it offscreen (without the window open).
>
> I thought this was going to be as simple as setting a QOffscreenSurface as
> my forward renderer surface - something like:
>
>    QOffscreenSurface *surface = new QOffscreenSurface;
>
>    surface->create();
>
>    Qt3DExtras::QForwardRenderer  *forwardRenderer = new
> Qt3DExtras::QForwardRenderer;
>
>    forwardRenderer->setSurface( surface );
>    forwardRenderer->setExternalRenderTargetSize( QSize( 800, 600 ) );
>
>    qDebug() << surface->format() << surface->size() << surface->isValid();
>
> While this gives me a valid surface and the format is correct, its size is
> always (1,1) and the render capture gives me images of that size.
>
> How do I set the size of the QOffscreenSurface?

You don't :) An offscreen surface is only good for making a GL context
current. It is not suitable as a render target. If you want to do offscreen
rendering with QOffscreenSurface, you will need to provide your own render
target in the form of a framebuffer object.

You will need to create an FBO by way of a QRenderTarget with a 2D texture of
the desired size attached to the color0 attachment point, and a depth format
texture of the same size attached to the depth attachment point.

Select this with a QRenderTargetSelector in a custom framegraph to direct
rendering into the attached textures. You can then do a pixel read back
operation with the QRenderCapure and save the resulting image.

I suppose this could be wrapped in a convenience that allows the rest of the
framegraph beyond the render target selector and render capture to be set.

Cheers,

Sean

--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK
Tel. UK +44 (0)1625 809908, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090