[Interest] QtWebEngine on i.MX6 eglfs

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Wed Aug 16 17:48:14 CEST 2017

On Mittwoch, 16. August 2017 17:33:32 CEST Christian Kandeler wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 16:46:09 +0200
>
> Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde at carewolf.com> wrote:
> > On Mittwoch, 16. August 2017 11:06:26 CEST Christian Kandeler wrote:

> > > But what exactly are you testing then? Whether the native compiler
> > > works?
> >
> > In my case we have a tricky translation of qmake settings to GN settings
> > in
> > qtwebengine, so I am testing if everything get translated correctly, so it
> > can actually build. This has broken multiple times. Basically does ARM
> > host builds work or did we accidently make some critical arm part
> > cross-build only.
> I'm intrigued. Can you give an example? I can easily see how things can go
> wrong the other way around ("whoops, we assumed that target equals host"),
> but if you got the target right already, one would think everything's fine.
> Unless it's about the location of host tools...

For non-x86 you often have to pass through or trigger the right CFLAGS,
otherwise you don't get the right FP-implementation, architecture revision,
SIMD instructions or ABI. That sort of thing.

Conversely there are often problems with cross-builds if detection goes wrong,
so it starts assuming things detected on host is present on target, which can
make it easier to start by fixing a standard build before fixing the cross-
build, and we have builds breaking regularly due to importing multi-million
lines diffs from chromium.

'Allan