[Interest] minimum macOS runtime version for Qt 5.9+ (Jake Petroules)

Steve Schilz sschilz at pasco.com
Fri Dec 1 02:10:37 CET 2017

Hi Jake,

TLDR:
   • Please update docs to include mention of deployment target,
   • People run older versions sometimes because of inertia of large projects
   • Qt support of two versions back matches Apple’s support policy.

I was looking at this this week, and wanted the same question answered…  It would be nice to add a note to the docs stating that the minimum supported platform for OS-X is a deployment target as well as a compilation target…

Our current shipping software on OSX is a 32 bit system is targeting 10.7 (yes, I know, ancient, see below).  Since I am in the process of updating to AVFoundation, and since nothing in the docs said I couldn’t, I was able to build against Qt 5.9.3 with a deployment target of 10.7 (w/ libc++).    I haven’t tried to run it on an actual system yet, and based on your comments, I am not going to try. We are going to move to supporting 10.9 for now.

Why do people run on older deployment targets?  Inertia of large projects!  Our video module on OSX was written 7 years ago to support OSX 10.7 using QtKit, which was deprecated at the time.  While we have been aware of this for several years, I have only now been assigned to write an AVFoundation replacement because the 32 bit subsystem (and hence QtKit), is finally being pulled from the operating system.  In general, if you have a large software project, there is always tension between moving forward on things like operating systems (we support Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, and Chromebooks here), and writing new code.   In practice, this often means that the schedule only finds time to upgrade to newer platforms when we are forced to.

While I agree with Shawn Rutledge’s comments about planned obsolescence, it is probably worth mentioning in this discussion that Apple generally provides security updates for two or maybe three major versions, and Qt is in line with that.  I couldn’t find an Apple reference for that, but this stack overflow post has some relevant if older discussion:
       https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/47664/what-is-apples-policy-for-supporting-security-updates-on-older-versions-of-os-x

Steve Schilz
PASCO scientific
think science