[Interest] Packet arrival-time resolution? QUdpSocket

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Fri Dec 1 11:28:14 CET 2017

On Thu, November 30, 2017 22:46, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Then again, the only application that cares about time jumps when relating
> packet arrival time is the application that performs those time jumps in
> the
> first place. It's called "ntpd".

Side note: ntpd under Linux does not jump. It speeds up or slows down the
OS clock.

SNTP, esp. under Windows, does jump.

With other OS'es it depends on whether the kernel supports clock speed and
what NTP implementation is used.

If ntpd/Linux is used to sync with an SNTP server (e.g. a Windows Domain
Controller) than at the very least the jitter will never go far enough
down. I'm not sure whether it is still smooth.

    Konrad