[Interest] minimum macOS runtime version for Qt 5.9+ (Jake Petroules)

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 17:39:44 CET 2017

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Steve Schilz <sschilz at pasco.com> wrote:

> Why do people run on older deployment targets?  Inertia of large
> projects!  Our video module on OSX was written 7 years ago to support OSX
> 10.7 using QtKit, which was deprecated at the time.  While we have been
> aware of this for several years, I have only now been assigned to write an
> AVFoundation replacement because the 32 bit subsystem (and hence QtKit), is
> finally being pulled from the operating system.

We are in the same situation. While the QTKit headers were removed from the
10.12 SDK, the functionality does not seem to have been removed from the
OS. If you provide your own copy of the headers, you should be able to
compile and run old QTKit code. At least we're doing that in our Qt 5.9.3
based application. We have added an AVFoundation back-end but my
understanding is that there is not quite feature parity between the two
frameworks so we still use QTKit for some things.

Adam