[Interest] QtIFW and LGPL3

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Dec 8 14:43:01 CET 2017

On Friday, 8 December 2017 04:33:45 PST Oliver Niebuhr wrote:
> Questions are:
> 1.) Do I have to put the IFW Installer Scripts, *.ui Files etc. under
> the LGPL3 License and make it public?
> 2.) Do I have to publish the (from my end unchanged) QtIFW Source Code too?

The LGPLv2.1 or v3 require you to make the source code of those bits available
to anyone who receives the binary. I don't know the exact internals of the IFW
to say what is "linking", but to be on the safe side, I'd just make everything
available, even the bits I wrote. The licence for those bits is whatever you
want it to be, so long as it's compatible with the LGPL.

You have to include the the Qt and IFW source code in the offer. Either put
the sources in your website or keep a copy somewhere you can access in case
one of your users asks in the next five years.

> I already contacted Digia directly and asked them this and other
> Questions. Also gave those and more Details. But the only answer after a
> few weeks was: "Thanks for contacting us. Please tell us what License
> you want to buy" etc. They seem to hate the Open Source Community as
> they never answer anything but instead you get contacted by a Sales
> Person. So they are not helpful at all. At least from my experience.

You don't ask licensing and legal compliance issues to them. You ask your own
lawyers. They're the only ones qualified to give legal advice.

Which this isn't.