[Interest] Using WebView from WebKit framework with QtQuick on macOS

Prashanth Udupa prashanth.udupa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 18:56:55 CET 2017

Hi All,

I am building a eReader app on Mac that requires me to use a specific third-party library for rendering EPUB3 content. This third-party library requires me to pass to it, an instance of WebKit framework's WebView component. The rest of the application is built using QML, so I will need to place the WebView as one of the tabs in the TabView {} element in my QML UI.

On Windows, I am able to use QQuickWidget and build my own QAxWidget based item in C++ (by subclassing from QQuickPaintedItem) and get it to work. On Mac, I notice a blank area with dumps on the console that says

NSView is not QNSView, consider checking for Qt::ForeignWindow
[WebView setQCocoaGLContext:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7f8db250b210

0x7f8db250b210 points to the instance of WebView I instantiate and pass to this third-party library.

I won’t be able to use QtWebEngine, because the third-party library is adamant about working only with native WebView from WebKit framework. I seek advise on ways in which I can use WebKit framework's WebView within a QtQuick QML UI.

/ Prashanth