[Interest] Excluding examples from make in dev dir

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Sat Feb 25 00:21:07 CET 2017

Il 24/02/2017 23:41, Patrick Stinson ha scritto:
> Right, I thought that this would take care of this as well, but it turns out that it doesn’t restrict examples. Or, at least it doesn’t restrict examples for cleaning.

Smells like a philosophical issue / arbitrary decision.

-nomake examples excludes the examples from the Makefile's default
target, but not from the "all" target, and not from the "clean" target.
In other words a target for them is still created and usable in the
Makefile. In this sense, I guess "clean" is interpreted to clean the
products of the "all" target, not of the default one.

For comparison, GNU says that "clean" should:

> Delete all files that are normally created by running make. [1]

> Delete all files in the current directory that are normally created by building the program. Also delete files in other directories if they are created by this makefile. [2]

I interpret this as *not* what we're currently doing, but as I said,
it's an arbitrary decision.

ANYHOW: we're also in 2017, so if you really want a very fast clean,
clone from git and run a git clean -dffx or similar.

> [1] https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Goals.html
> [2] https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Standard-Targets.html#Standard-Targets

Hope this helps,
KDAB (UK) Ltd., a KDAB Group company | Tel: UK +44-1625-809908
KDAB - Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts