[Interest] Which "Widget" technology to use when starting a new desktop app

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 16:29:30 CET 2017

On 1/5/2017 8:03 AM, Jason H wrote:
> The mantra is to use QML.

I just wrote a wonderful utility using Qt 5.6.2 and Widgets for the desktop,
and there's no hint of QML in it.  It functions beautifully, is easily
maintainable, and even has full animations.

I don't think the mantra is QML.  The mantra is: Look at your need, your goal,
and choose the Qt technology that best fits it. If that's QML, fine. If that's
Widgets, fine.  Unless Qt reps step up here and support your statement (which
will have ramifications for me and, I'm sure, many others), summarily stating
to somebody that they should use QML as the primary tech for a new desktop app
is, I think, dogmatic, at best, and continues to fuel the anxiety that Qt is
pouring all the love into a QML/mobile focus.

Just my $0.02.