[Interest] context menu shortcut?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:41:53 CET 2017

Shawn Rutledge wrote:

Hi,

> It’s not in QKeySequence::StandardKey.  There is a table in the QKeySequence
> docs which shows the standard key assignments on each platform.
>
> Personally I don’t miss that on Linux… it’s just an extra key available for
> some other purpose (I’ve used it as a compose key sometimes, for example).

I don't really miss it on Linux either, but I think that's because I've never
worked long enough under MSWin with this key in a convenient location, plus
hitting a key to open a menu and then going back to the mouse or trackpad to
pick the desired menu item isn't necessarily practical.

But I now have a Qt5-based application which on Mac seems to eat almost 1 out of
every right-button click, and sometimes activates the 1st menu item from the
context menu immediately. It must be a bug, but a sufficiently hard one to trace
that I'm looking for alternative and reliable ways to open that menu.

FWIW I'm not seeing this when I use the xcb QPA so it may be partly an issue in
Qt 5.7.1 (partly because not all Qt5 apps behave like this, fortunately).

R.