[Interest] Qt 5.8.0 RC build under windows

Prav pr12og2 at programist.ru
Sat Jan 21 22:10:53 CET 2017

Hello, Thiago.

>> For example I do not understand : if c-compiler is simply a console app with
>> 10's years history of development ... what so important it could need from
>> WinVista so that it CAN NOT be run on older Windows?

> It's a tiny functionality called "getting the time". It's required so that the
> event loop knows how much time has elapsed and so it can fire QTimer correctly.

You did not get. I told you about vc-compiler. You are explaining about Qt.

> Note that the compatibility check, even if a simple check-and-branch code, ran EVERY TIME
> the event loop tried to get the time. Which is about 1000 times per second...

You really think that execution of "if (boolflag)" 1000 times per second will give visible difference for PC?
And you REALLY lost compatibility with XP for the whole Qt just because of that!?

>> I ask myself same question differently : why we lost compatibility?

> Because we need some definitions from Windows headers so that we can call
> Windows 10 functions when the application detects it's running on Windows 10.

Which "Windows 10 functions" are necessary?
Mike Chinander told that he managed to build Qt 5.8.0 RC with Win8SDK. How Win8SDK can have "Windows 10 functions"?
I think you are mistaken here.

My opinion :
I belive that some function (helpful only for WinRT build of Qt) is tried to be compiled under desktop version of Qt.
That is why desktop Qt now need WinRT header files. And that is why Win7SDK compatibility was lost. And that explains why Win8SDK is also possible.
(WinRT is absent in Win7 and appeared in Win8)
This is what I mean when I am telling you about dependence from WinRT. Discussed header file in inside "winrt" folder of WinSDK.

Is such explanation "good reason" for you to restore compatibility with Win7SDK?