[Interest] Library shrinks during the Android build process

Eric Braley eric.braley at sertintyone.com
Fri Jul 14 16:37:05 CEST 2017

Basically, I'm compiling a library to use in an Android app. When I'm
including the .so file in an app via ANDROID_EXTRA_LIBS everything works
fine.

However, I have a requirement outside of my control to checksum the library
within the app when it starts. This should be easy because I compile them
separately. Checksum the shared library, hardcode the checksum into the app
and deploy. (This is a drastic oversimplification of the real use-case, but
suffices as an example)

An undocumented qmake method has managed to ruin this however. During the
installation of the library into the Android build, a command is run using
"qmake -install qinstall -exe". Whatever this command does, it removes
several hundred kb from my shared library even though it was already
compiled for Android as a subproject in the same project as the app. It
operates like normal, but I'd like to know what this command is doing to
the shared library that shrinks it. I need this information so that I can
reproduce this process when compiling so that what I compile and what is
deployed to the device are the same literal file.

Any ideas on what's going on here?