[Interest] Vertically aligned plots with Qt Charts

Murphy, Sean smurphy at walbro.com
Mon Jun 26 18:56:52 CEST 2017

We're looking at replacing plots that current use the Qwt plot library (http://qwt.sourceforge.net/) with the Qt Charts module. One of the features we currently have in our application is we have vertically aligned plots that are all share a common x-axis, this can be seen in the following screenshot: https://imagebin.ca/v/3RKAmOuZopJD. In this screenshot, there is a single x-axis timescale widget at the top (a QwtScaleWidget) that is aligned with a used as the x-axis for the two plots below it (QwtPlot objects with the x-axis disabled). This was done to remove the redundancy of having multiple identical x-axis widgets, and using the resulting vertical pixel savings to give a little more space to the plots themselves.

As I'm looking through the Qt Charts API, I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to achieve the same effect. The main issue I see is that QAbstractAxis inherits from QObject, not QWidget, so it doesn't look like there's a way to create an axis object that can stand on it's own?

Does anyone have any experience doing what I'm attempting?
Sean