[Interest] Qt 5.8 qt3d examples not working on Raspberry Pi 3

Pierre Chicoine pierrechicoine606 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 01:40:49 CET 2017

Qt3d 5.8 examples are not working on Raspberry Pi 3 using Raspbian Jessie.
I'm using the latest Raspberry PI toolkit not Yocto. Should I use a
different board?

I've tried all GL driver modes in raspi-config. The current VC4 driver
doesnt' work. Strangely enough, the Raspberry PI works with qopenglwidget
so opengl examples works but not QT3d. I was going to try to compile the
fragment shaders directly but I can't find a fragment shader that even has
41 lines of code in the Qt3d toolkit. (Refer to error below).

I'm asking this sincerely, I know that KDAB is not technically responsible
and you've done a great job getting Qt3d working on desktop. The code looks
like a very capable toolkit.

Sean, are you planning on supporting the Raspberry PI? I've been trying to
implement Qt3d since before Qt 5.7 when it was officially supported and
I've tried everything to no avail. Anholt's work on the Raspberry drivers
don't work and the legacy drivers don't work so I'm seriously thinking
about giving up several months of work, removing all the work I did to get
OpenGl working with Qt3d which will take several month to untangle. I
really don't know what to do from here.

Please let us know if it is supported or will be and if it or will be, is
what is the magic used to get it working.

This is the error returned on the command line (this works just fine on
desktops):

No Input Settings found, keyboard and mouse events won't be handled
Trying to assign a non shareable component to more than one Entity
QOpenGLShader::link: ERROR:OPTIMIZER-3 (fragment shader, line 41) Support
for for loops is restricted : right side of condition expression must be
constant
Failed to link shader program: ERROR:OPTIMIZER-3 (fragment shader, line 41)