[Interest] How do you want to select exactly C++11 with GCC 6+?

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 08:42:28 CET 2017

Den 10 mars 2017 12:19 fm skrev "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com
>:
>
> On quinta-feira, 9 de março de 2017 18:12:57 CET Sérgio Martins wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Thiago Macieira
> > > 1) is there a need for qmake to provide a way to select *exactly*
C++11,
> > > not a later, available version?
> >
> > I wouldn't worry much about it, aren't C++11 and C++14 ABI compatible ?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If there's some implementation where this is an issue then qmake
> > should provide an obscure way to workaround and not through CONFIG.
>
> Right. I'm trying to figure out if I need to worry about this at all.
>
> In other words, for people who already have in their .pro files:
>         CONFIG += c++11
>
> is it acceptable to enable C++14 instead?

To me it's acceptable, but my gut reaction is that it's a little magical to
get something newer.

How about CXX_VERSION, MIN_CXX_VERSION and MAX_CXX_VERSION, each taking the
arguments 98, 11, 14, 17, ...? Too many variables?

Could be done by adding CONFIG options min-c++N and max-c++N instead, for N
= 98, 11, 14, 17, ...

If <  and = are allowed in CONFIG keys, maybe e.g. >=c++11 is nicer. Or lt,
gt, le ge prefixes..

Elvis