[Interest] How do you want to select exactly C++11 with GCC 6+?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 17:26:21 CET 2017

On 03/09/2017 03:13 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> 1) is there a need for qmake to provide a way to select *exactly* C++11, not a
> later, available version?

Maybe packagers (Linux distros) would need one due to ABI issues? But
those people would probably modify CXXFLAGS directly.

> 2) if the answer is "yes", how would you prefer to do so?
> 	option I:		CONFIG += c++11
> 	option II:	CONFIG -= c++14		(obviously disables later editions too)

To me it looks like qmake should always specify the "-std" option (or
equivalent) and simply have its own default regardless of the compiler
that is being used. If nothing is added to CONFIG, have the default be
the lowest common denominator (which AFAIK is C++11). So if you don't do
anything, or do "CONFIG += c++11", you only get C++11 and nothing else.

So that would be something qmake "just does" to achieve consistency
between compilers.