[Interest] How do you want to select exactly C++11 with GCC 6+?

Konstantin Shegunov kshegunov at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 00:06:21 CET 2017

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Konrad Rosenbaum <konrad at silmor.de> wrote:
> or simply "I'm a hillbilly, disable those newfangled C++ 14 features!"

Some of us (read me) "hillbillies" need to compile and test with c++11
on the dev machine because our target machine does not support c++14.

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> 1) is there a need for qmake to provide a way to select *exactly* C++11, not a
> later, available version?

Yes, there's such need on occasion.

> 2) if the answer is "yes", how would you prefer to do so?

I prefer option I, as the most practical approach. I don't mind
defaulting to the newest version of the standard if nothing is
specifically selected, though. Also Krzysztof makes a good argument as
to why c++11 should mean c++11 exactly and not c++11 + something else.