[Interest] How do you want to select exactly C++11 with GCC 6+?

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 18:36:41 CET 2017

Den 12 mars 2017 10:39 em skrev "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com
>:
>
> On quinta-feira, 9 de março de 2017 05:13:28 PDT Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > This is a straw poll to see if we should change qmake's behaviour for Qt
> > 5.9.
> >
> > GCC 6 and ICC 17, in the absence of -std= comipler options, default ot
> > C++14. So I have two questions:
> >
> > 1) is there a need for qmake to provide a way to select *exactly*
C++11, not
> > a later, available version?
> >
> > 2) if the answer is "yes", how would you prefer to do so?
> >       option I:               CONFIG += c++11
> >       option II:      CONFIG -= c++14         (obviously disables later
editions too)

> > I want to first get just gut feeling, so I won't post pros and cons of
the
> > approaches.
>
> Conclusion from this thread is that there is no consensus.
>
> Therefore, I will do nothing and will leave the behaviour exactly as is.
That
> is, option I.

Well, with the question phrased as "is there a need" then I think you're
bound to get an inconclusive answer, because most people will answer based
on their own need or lack thereof.

If it had instead been "can you in some circumstances see a need, possibly
in the future, for yourself or others", the answer would probably have been
different.

I personally think the "least surprise" and the fact that you could be
developing with a more capable compiler than the ones you're targeting, is
a compelling argument for 2), even if I don't have that need myself atm.

In fact, in a project I'm working on, I want it to still compile with GCC
4.8-something, since that's what's available on CentOS 6.7, where I build
an AppImage. Though I use CMake there.. Just an anecdote :)

Elvis