[Interest] [Development] Diff between Qt-5.7.1 and Qt-5.8.0 on Android - Pointer Below the Cursor at Text Fields

Robert Iakobashvili coroberti at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 07:02:58 CET 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Olivier Goffart <olivier at woboq.com> wrote:

> On Sonntag, 19. März 2017 09:39:57 CET Robert Iakobashvili wrote:
> > Nexus-7 with Android-6
> > The same Qt app built with 5.7.1 works properly
> > and with 5.8.0 appears a blue pointer down the cursor at text fields
> > (QTextEdit, QTextLine)
> >
> > The pointer is buggy and doesn't follow the cursor properly when
> positioning
> > and re-positioning child-windows/popups.
> How buggy?  Please report a bug on https://bugreports.qt.io
> I wonder if it's a bug with Android handles or with the widgets themself
> not
> reporting the proper cursor position.
> To be honest, i never tried widgets on a platform that have cursor handles.
>
> > How to get rid from it?
> Unfortunately there is no way.
> Maybe a input method hint should be added for it?
>
> > Were it some theme changes or something else from 5.7 to 5.8?
> > Thanks
> Yes, support for selection handle was added.
>
> --
> Olivier
>
> Woboq - Qt services and support - https://woboq.com -
> https://code.woboq.org

Dear Olivier,
Thank you for your kind reply so far the only one.

The pointer by itself is looking bad and detracts attention from the
writing done even if it is positioned properly.

Definitely, it should be arranged options:

- to get rid from the pointer (handles) completely;
- to change the image of the pointer like small image, NULL image, etc.

To reproduce the disastrous look,
one can use example of textedit in richedits, widgets.

I will try to come with my minimal example to reproduce
the issue with child widgets positioning and re-positioning over the parents
and file it via the bug reporting system.

Who is the maintainer today for the Qt-Android port?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Robert