[Interest] Using Widgets for new projects

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Wed May 17 11:12:06 CEST 2017

> Am 17.05.2017 um 03:14 schrieb Tuukka Turunen <tuukka.turunen at qt.io>:
>

> Hi,
>
> If you make a desktop application widgets are often a solid choice – especially if you want the application to look like other apps in that OS and not create your own style for the app. Qt Creator, for example, is an application that uses widgets extensively.
>
> You may want to check out our on-demand webinar (read: video) about the topic: https://www.qt.io/event/the-curse-of-choice-an-overview-of-gui-technologies-in-qt/
>
> Yours,

To add to this: if you want to stay "within the same technology" (read: "C++ and Qt extensions like MOC) then QWidgets may also win this decision. You can easily design your GUIs within Qt Designer (Qt Creator), but just as easily interact with the (generated C++) widgets "in your familiar language", without the need to "bridge and cast" between the JavaScript and C++ object worlds.

You can even create new (or dynamically modify existing) widgets programatically very easily, having the well-established parent-child paradigm in mind (in short: "the parent takes care of deallocating its children, when time comes" - just like we know it from most QObject hierarchies).

You can also animate your widgets *to a certain degree*, but (only) programatically, using the Qt animation framework, which "animates properties that you choose". But once you go this animation path further, you'd probably have wished to have started with QML, which really shines in this aspect (animation), as you simply *declare* the start- and endstates, and QML does the rest.

The good thing: you can easily "mix" those technologies.

Cheers,
  Oliver