[Interest] Using Widgets for new projects

Ch'Gans chgans at gna.org
Wed May 17 15:54:49 CEST 2017

On 17 May 2017 at 21:12, Till Oliver Knoll <till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 17.05.2017 um 03:14 schrieb Tuukka Turunen <tuukka.turunen at qt.io>:
>

> Hi,
>

> If you make a desktop application widgets are often a solid choice –
> especially if you want the application to look like other apps in that OS
> and not create your own style for the app. Qt Creator, for example, is an
> application that uses widgets extensively.
>

> You may want to check out our on-demand webinar (read: video) about the
> topic:
> https://www.qt.io/event/the-curse-of-choice-an-overview-of-gui-technologies-in-qt/
>

> Yours,
>

> To add to this: if you want to stay "within the same technology" (read: "C++
> and Qt extensions like MOC) then QWidgets may also win this decision. You
> can easily design your GUIs within Qt Designer (Qt Creator), but just as
> easily interact with the (generated C++) widgets "in your familiar
> language", without the need to "bridge and cast" between the JavaScript and
> C++ object worlds.
>
> You can even create new (or dynamically modify existing) widgets
> programatically very easily, having the well-established parent-child
> paradigm in mind (in short: "the parent takes care of deallocating its
> children, when time comes" - just like we know it from most QObject
> hierarchies).
>
> You can also animate your widgets *to a certain degree*, but (only)
> programatically, using the Qt animation framework, which "animates
> properties that you choose". But once you go this animation path further,
> you'd probably have wished to have started with QML, which really shines in
> this aspect (animation), as you simply *declare* the start- and endstates,
> and QML does the rest.
>
> The good thing: you can easily "mix" those technologies.

After watching this video (again), I wanted to react about QWidget vs
Qml and the future of Qt "good old" technologies.

Could anyone provide an official statement about QGraphicsView, in
this video and on a Qt blog post [1], i've seen some big "Don't use
QGraphicsView".
I think QGraphicsView is great, at least for my usecases: 2D CAD and
engineering drawing applications.

If QGraphicView is deprecated, then what is the alternative? (No, Qml
is not an alternative in this type of applications)

I would appreciate if someone could shed some light about the future
of the QGraphicsView framework. Will it still be there in Qt6? Will it
enter the same state as QWidget?

QWidget doesn't seem to be the priority anymore, no new main/big
features have been added, but desktop technology (even the old style
widgets) keep evolving, The Qt company doesn't seem to want to catch
up and just contemplate KDE stock-pilling solutions in it's Framework5
... Is KFooBar the new QFooBar?

What one can read and hear as arguments for not touching QWidget
anymore are: it's ultra-stable man, that's why we're not working on
it! We don't want to break it! BTW, the future is
Qml/QtQuick/QtWebStuff ...

Mobile apps are hype and there's lot of money to make there, but
desktop apps still rule the world of the everyday desktop computer
user like you and me.

It's not tomorrow that you will design an airplane on an Android
tablet, control the CERN particle accelerator from a Windows phone or
monitor the country electricity distribution network grid from an
Apple iPod.

Chris

[1] blog.qt.io/blog/2017/01/19/should-you-be-using-qgraphicsview/