[Interest] Using Widgets for new projects

Benjamin TERRIER b.terrier at gmail.com
Wed May 17 18:45:02 CEST 2017

> I don't say all desktop application should be done into Qml, but just that
> it's doable into Qml no matter the application you have.

No, it is not always doable.

Let's say I want to make a desktop app that looks native.
If I want to do it with QtQuick, I will have to use QtQuick Controls
1, but they have
poor performances and do not support keyboard focus correctly (QTBUG-47658).
So I am stuck with widgets.

Also few weeks ago I made a desktop app which embed a video player.
I started by developing it with Qt Quick and Qt Multimedia, but
because of QTBUG-53019
it does not work well on some AMD hardware.
>From there I add 2 choices: switch to widgets or use another backend like vlc.
But vlc needs a HWND to render into and you cannot get one with Qt Quick.
In the end I rewrote the app with widgets.

Finally, in some cases, you might find yourself limited when using
QtQuick as you do
not have access to the scenegraph (most classes are private). On the other hand
you have full access to QPainter and can draw whatever you want (even
bezier curves).
(I know you can do the same with canvas and QPaintedItem, but you loose a lot of
what QML and the scenegraph offer)

BR,

Benjamin