[Interest] Qt5, OpenGL, and VMware

Andy asmaloney at gmail.com
Thu May 25 22:39:01 CEST 2017

I run Windows using VMware Fusion on my Mac. My application uses Qt3D.

When I look at the OpenGL capabilities using "OpenGL Extensions Viewer" (
http://realtech-vr.com/admin/glview ) it tells me that it is capable of
using a 3.3 core profile:

Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on SVGA3D; build: RELEASE;  LLVM;
Vendor: VMware, Inc.
Memory: 384 MB
Version: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.2.0 (git-b9d3786)
Shading language version: 3.30

I can run the real time test for 3.3 and it works.

No matter what I try from within Qt (5.9 RC), I can't get it to give me
that profile. This is what I get when I set the QSurfaceFormat to that:

OpenGL Info
  Vendor: VMware, Inc.
  Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on SVGA3D; build: RELEASE;  LLVM;
  Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 (git-b9d3786)
  Shading language: 1.30
  Requested format: (version 3.3, profile [core], depthBufferSize 24,
stencilBufferSize 8, rgba BufferSizes (-1, -1, -1, -1 ), samples 8,
swapBehavior 0, swapInterval 1)
  Current format:   (version 3.0, profile [none], depthBufferSize 24,
stencilBufferSize 8, rgba BufferSizes (8, 8, 8, 8 ), samples 8,
swapBehavior 2, swapInterval 1)

I've tried all different versions and CoreProfile vs. CompatibilityProfile
with no luck.

Does anyone know how to get a 3.3 context under VMware using Qt?

Thank you for your time!

---
Andy Maloney  //  https://asmaloney.com
twitter ~ @asmaloney <https://twitter.com/asmaloney>