[Interest] [Development] Short/medium term evolution of the Assistant?

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Fri Nov 10 20:41:56 CET 2017

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 04:02:02PM +0100, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Friday November 10 2017 13:19:39 Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
>
> >(switched mailing list to interest since this post is not about qt development per se)
>
> Where Qt development does come in is with this:
>
> are there plans to retire QtWebKit support, migrate to using QtWebEngine or to improve
> QTextBrowser's HTML support?

WebEngine is plainly inacceptable as dependency for QTextBrowser which
is part of the QtWidgets module.

This was already true for WebKit, WebEngine is even worse.

> QTB currently has trouble with QHC documents generated with doxygen, apparently, and I'm
> not sure it does a perfect job with all of Qt's own documentation either (in particular
> where [header] files are embedded). See also https://phabricator.kde.org/D8211 for some
> heated discussion about using QTB in this context, and examples where Qt Assistant fails.

X-Y.

How QTextBrowser renders HTML is kind of irrelevant for how .qch files are rendered,
when there are other options. Qt Creator's help plugin e.g. can use QTextBrower
*or* QtWebengine (*or*...) for rendering.

Andre'