[Interest] [Development] Short/medium term evolution of the Assistant?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 23:03:46 CET 2017

On Friday November 10 2017 20:41:56 André Pönitz wrote:

> > are there plans to retire QtWebKit support, migrate to using QtWebEngine or to improve
> > QTextBrowser's HTML support?
>
> WebEngine is plainly inacceptable as dependency for QTextBrowser which
> is part of the QtWidgets module.

How does my question suggest that? Evidently neither of the "full-fledged browser in a widget" libraries should be dependencies for QTB...

> This was already true for WebKit, WebEngine is even worse.

It sure is =)

> How QTextBrowser renders HTML is kind of irrelevant for how .qch files are rendered,
> when there are other options.

Yes, as long as there are other options. WebKit is deprecated, WebEngine is top-heavy, both are probably overkill for documentation rendering (or, if not, what we'd need would be a browser plugin allowing to peruse that documentation in one's favourite browser).

To put my question into perspective: I'd be all for using a lightweight rendering backend rather than WebKit or WebEngine. QTB is just a bit too light but still it's what you get (in Assistant) when you build Qt from the aggregate tarball or install it via the official installers.

R.