[Interest] Customized Qt Platform Abstraction plugin

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Fri Nov 17 21:45:04 CET 2017

> Sent: Friday, November 17, 2017 at 12:02 PM
> From: Philippe <philwave at gmail.com>
> To: interest at qt-project.org
> Subject: [Interest] Customized Qt Platform Abstraction plugin
>
> There is little documentation about Qpa, however I am wondering if a custom Qpa plugin could be used for the followin scenario:
>
> * there is a big desktop application A that does not use Qt, and that uses its own xplatform framework.
> * there is smaller application B, that is based on Qt widgets
> * the goal is to embed B inside A. Both applications are from the same company, with possibily to make changes in both (but A must not be rewritten for Qt, and B must remain based on Qt)
>
> I am just asking: how crazy or wise, possible or not, is the idea to
> create a QPA plugin, representing the "platform A", to host B ?
>
> IOW, mouse/key/window support is provided by A, and used by B

But they are all running on the same platform.

You can do hybrid apps in Qt, I did one in MFC and Qt. Remember at some level Qt is "just a library". I'd imagine that at some point though you'd need to merge the event loops depending on the  level of intertop required. If you don't have the same process/address space you'll need some level of IPC.