[Interest] minimum macOS runtime version for Qt 5.9+

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Wed Nov 29 17:09:04 CET 2017

I vote NOT to. -1. Each business has to decide at what point is supporting the older hardware detrimental to their bottom line. For my business, I drew the line at 2 major releases behind Apple which aligns well with Qt. I service higher education and govt labs where people stay with hardware as long as possible for personal or corporate IT reasons. I weighed servicing those few clients with NOT having access to things like newer C++11 & C++14 because I had to support those older compilers and for my business that just didn't make sense. We _want_ to use the newer enhancements to C++ to make our developing lives easier and create more solid and stable code that the newer C++ and tooling brings. I communicate well in advanced our plans so that it isn't a "secret" to anyone. I recognize that _your_ business may have different needs and reasons than mine. There is no "correct" answer in this discussion. I just need a clear road map from Qt about what versions of Qt will support which operating systems so that I can plan accordingly, and I have not had a problem getting that information.

We also had a MacPro4,1 (2009 era, Dual Quad Core) that could not be upgraded to macOS Sierra so we turned it into a nice Windows 10 workstation instead. Total Cost $150 for the Windows 10 Pro license. Linux would have worked also. Those "cheese grader" MacPro machines just keep going. Nothing wrong with them.

--
Michael Jackson | Owner, President
      BlueQuartz Software
[e] mike.jackson at bluequartz.net