[Interest] PostgreSQL cross compile for Pi

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 13:06:23 CEST 2017

  - schedule a triage week every couple of months to go through the current
backlog and reassess/re-prioritize? (again, don't know if this is done -
doesn't seem like it from the outside)

This should maybe also include the bugreports whose assignee went missing
years ago and are just stalled (or worse, "closed due to inactivity").

I must say in choir with the others posters here that I wanted to
contribute a bit but I'm honestly giving up after some weeks of doing
changes -> calling maintainers -> maintainers suggest another set of
changes, etc., mostly because this means that by the time my patch actually
ends up in a released version of qt it's almost a year (plus realistically
a few more months waiting for the usual patch releases to sort out problems
with macOS 10.18 "Random Waterfall")... I may not even be working on qt
software (or software at all) so far in time so the effort / reward ratio
ends up being less interesting than contributing to projects where the
whole "propose patch -> CI & sanity check pass -> patch applied" process is
a matter of hours.

I guess this is due to the "industrial" requirements of many Qt users,
though in my small experience I already saw the following happen:
* business B uses a tech A for years and lobbies against big updates and
breaking changes "for stability concerns"
* developers of tech A want to keep the business as a client so they limit
changes to the max
* developers at the business B, etc are slowly getting fed up with working
with software full of old practices and legacy bugs
* in the meantime some other shiny new tech is being developed by random
guys on a github repo
* tech debt at business B accumulates, developers are even more fed up when
they look at the new tech which looks oh so shiny
* one day a dev of business B does a proof of concept of a remake of their
software with the new tech and show it to B's business owner while telling
them "it took 1/10th of the time it takes to develop with tech A!"
* business B decides a complete switch from tech A to new tech and the
company that develops tech A gets less and less clients and are reducted to
using predatory practices to keep their clients.

This could (maybe, maybe not...) have been averted if tech A had more
ambitious updates that did not fear doing breaking changes from time to
time to make the overall thing easier to use.

Best,

-------
Jean-Michaël Celerier
http://www.jcelerier.name