[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 73, Issue 18

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 17 18:20:05 CEST 2017

On terça-feira, 17 de outubro de 2017 08:11:13 PDT Roland Hughes wrote:
> > The bug tracking system is under our control - it will not just
> > disappear (from our perspective).
>
> Oh yes it will!
>
> Speaking as someone who has heard that soooooo many times before, let's
> just count a few for Qt shall we.
>
> The Trolltech bug database was never going to just disappear (from our
> perspective). It did. A tiny fraction of the bugs migrated to the new
> system but most were mass exterminated with

The TT TT was not a public database. It existed internally only. When we
switched to a public bugtracker, we could only export some entries since many
had confidential customer information. Those that were exported had to be
review by a person to make sure we were not violation any NDAs or
confidentiality.

That's the same reason why the code repository starts with Qt 4.5, not earlier
versions.

> "The version this bug is reported against is no longer supported..."
>
> The Nokia bug tracker was never going to just disappear (from our
> perspective). It did. Few, if any of the older bugs made it into the
> current database. Most were mass exterminated with

There was no Nokia database. We switched straight from the internal tdb
(that's what it was called) to JIRA.

> I hear from quite a few companies in similar boats. They started
> development for a medical/industrial device which had a lengthy
> testing/approval process, filed bug reports for that version only to see
> them rot or fall victim to a mass extermination.

Most open source projects don't support old versions, since they don't have
the manpower to do so.

> The current owners of Qt and the current OpenSource maintainers don't
> offer or seem to understand the concept of an LTS (Long Term Support)
> version. They are constantly pursuing script kiddies and that worthless
> QML instead of maintaining the base which built them. This will soon
> force a fork in the OpenSource project. One which rips out all of the
> QML and focuses on nothing but bug fixes for 12 years. Yes, 12 years.

Again, offence taken.

I don't know who plans on forking. There's no such division in the community,
so any attempt to do so will probably start with very few developers. Almost
certainly, fewer than critical mass to maintain the codebase.

See TQt (Trinity Project) for an example of a fork attempt.