[Interest] WebView will someone shed some light please

Marek.Floriańczyk marek.florianczyk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 17:14:57 CEST 2017

Dnia środa, 18 października 2017 17:26:06 CEST Konstantin Tokarev pisze:
> 17.10.2017, 17:38, "Marek.Floriańczyk" <marek.florianczyk at gmail.com>:
> > Dnia wtorek, 17 października 2017 16:27:05 CEST Jason H pisze:
> >>  > Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 12:47 PM
> >>  > From: "Marek.Floriańczyk" <marek.florianczyk at gmail.com>
> >>  > To: interest at qt-project.org
> >>  > Subject: [Interest] WebView will someone shed some light please
> >>  >
> >>  > Hi all,
> >>  >
> >>  > I need to ask about QML WebView module.
> >>  > I'm working on an mobile application that should display single web
> >> page
> >>  > with JS library for webRTC - audio/video transmission.
> >>  > It looks like web page is loaded, JS library starts up, but I can't
> >> access > camera and mic.
> >>  > With QWebEngineView on Desktop platform it works, this web page also
> >> works > when displayed it in chrome browser on the phone.
> >>  >
> >>  > From what I understand WebView is a wrapper around platform native web
> >>  > browser engine, since Android and iOS supports webRTC what is a real
> >>  > problem with WebView to support access to microphone and camera, like
> >> in
> >>  > QWebEngineView: onFeaturePermissionRequested: {
> >>  >
> >>  > grantFeaturePermission(securityOrigin, feature, true);
> >>  >
> >>  > }
> >>  >
> >>  > Is this some functionality that hasn't been written yet, or is it a
> >> deeper > problem, policy or something else.
> >>  > This is a real showstopper in my project, so I need to ask is it
> >> possible > to add some functionality to WebView module to support camera
> >> and mic > access even with some support from commercial company and
> >> later make this > code an open source contribution to WebView module ?
> >>
> >>  I cringe at the invocation of "show stopper"
> >>  You can make an app with with camera and webview and coordinate the
> >> switch
> >>  between the two. If you need a full-blown WebUI, then maybe Qt isn't the
> >>  right choice? I'm thinking React might be better if you're looking for a
> >>  fully web-driven app.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's not web-driven app, there are push notifications, in app purchase,
> > google api authorization and a few more. WebRTC allows me to use some
> > "call center" infrastructure with TURN and STUN servers provided by VoIP
> > provider. They have commercial JS library where all webRTC communications
> > is done. I can access camera no problem, did that for QR codes, but then
> > I would have to do all webRTC related stuff myself.
>
> You could use e.g. OpenWebRTC instead of doing all WebRTC stuff yourself

I admit that I'm not an expert. Try to make my living of writing apps in Qt.

However, when I point WebView to opensource webRTC url:
https://webrtc.github.io/samples/src/content/getusermedia/gum/

the problem is the same: Can't access camera and microphone.
Please explain me, how open source webRTC should be different in that case ?

There is open source webRTC in Qt and I'm sure it works in QWebEngineView.

But since on mobile platform only available component is a  WebView in which I
can't access camera and microphone what is the difference between opensource
webRTC and commercial JS library?

Best Regards
Marek