[Interest] Using QAbstractScrollArea scrollBarWidget and cornerWidget on Macintosh

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 23:37:36 CEST 2017

Hi

We use scroll bar widgets and corner widgets in several QAbstractScrollArea
subclasses in our application. We set the scroll bar policy for the
corresponding scroll bars to AlwaysOn. However, on Macintosh, the OS does
not typically show scroll bars, and this means that our scroll bar and
corner widgets are not visible for most users. In order for them to be
shown, the user must set their system preferences to always show scroll
bars (described in
http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/03/show-scroll-bars-mac-os-x-lion/).

Does anyone have a good solution for this (other than the obvious solution
which is to avoid using scroll bar widgets and corner widgets)? Ideally I
would be able to override the system setting for individual scroll areas.

An alternative would be to check the value of that system setting on
startup and suggest that the user change it if they don't always have
scroll bars visible. But I haven't been able to find a way to test the
value of that system setting.

Thanks for any ideas

Adam