[Interest] [Development] Qt installation prefix path issue

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 23:47:43 CEST 2017

On 26/10/2017 9:55 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 October 2017 13:32:29 PDT Christian Gagneraud wrote:
>> On 25/10/2017 11:12 PM, Maurice Kalinowski wrote:
>>> The reason is that code.qt.io is never meant as a public searchable
>>> tool, but its purpose has always been to reduce the load on gerrit
>>> when doing initial clones.
>>>
>>> Come on people, it's not that everything is meant to be purely evil,
>>> but as code.qt.io is there since a while, its main use-case might
>>> have shifted.
>>
>> I'm not saying that everything is evil, i'm questioning if there is an
>> intentional (or not) attempt at hiding things.
>
> Considering the contents of that website change very frequently, I'd assume
> that the reason is either that there's no point indexing something that
> becomes stale quickly or that they want to reduce the workload on the server
> caused by the indexing (remember: everything is generated).

I do understand that they want to reduce the server load, but it would
be nice to be able to search from google et al ('git grep' is one thing,
'google grep' is another).

When I answered your email, i would have liked to give a link, because i
find these sort of things very interesting indeed. Unfortunately a quick
googling didn't return anything, and i couldn't remember where exactly i
saw the "relocation by patching the binaries", i'm pretty sure it was a
python script in Boot2Qt.

github content is indexed, and they even have their own search engine
with REST API, and a new GraphQL API it seems
The query "qabstractitemmodel site:github.com" on google return 1870
results for example.
You can even try "qabstractitemmodel site:github.com/qt"

Having said that, yes the content changes all the time, so (google)
results are somehow volatile, still they tend to point you in the right
direction. I sometimes found interesting git repos this way, that I then
clone, grep, study, and sometimes end up contributing back.

Chris

PS: I don't get what you mean by "everything is generated", do you mean
that HTML is generated on the fly w/o caching?